Sunday 4 October 2015

Santander Via Plymouth

We leave our host Bob this morning and say goodbye to the girls who head off back to Cheltenham complete with the last two days of odorous clothes. We are greeted with a 500 foot climb over a mile out of Gunnislake. 'Who the flipping heck ( that's just a translation) chose those digs' mutters the Captain. I ignore the contempt. Then with a headwind all the face we arrive at Plymouth passing another I K  Brunel bridge over The Tamar. With a few tweaks courtesy Evans Cycles we head to the Wet Wock to devour a Chinese Plat de Jour. The sea looks fierce and we discuss our sea legs - 'It wouldn't bother my old man'  declares the Captain ( A D Day Navy Veteran) it's all a bit romantic and I am aware that there is whispering on nearby tables questioning our sexuality. Learning my lesson earlier this year I am not riled by the car driver who offer gestures to tell us to get to the back of the line using some words beginning with F an C . I very politely suggest he takes it up with Brittainy Ferries as it was they who decided we have priority. He scowled and described me as something that rhymes with anchor and off we go. The evening on the ferry was relaxed you are in the time zone and as I sit in the room void of natural light I strangely ponder over the plight of Terry Waite and the like What amazing characters they must've been to handle solitude and darkness for such a long time-Again a bit deep I know but that's what I was thinking and that's what a tour does to me. The Captain scalds me - I'm talking bollocks again. Another highlight of this journey was to have the pleasure of meeting Terry. He is a Welsh man who is amazingly - quietly spoken, humble and never mentioned our World Cup result. We were both intrigued by his journey. On no more than a mountain bike and a pair of crocs complete with his kindle he is cycling solo to the south of Spain. At 64 years old and in many ways recent to the world of the velo he would be an inspiration to all and was even offered admiration by the usually cynical Capitano. Thanks for your company Terry and a safe journey to you my friend. We exchange tales, tips and also  email addresses and a big farewell to each other as we continue on our onward journey. The journey last night through the ocean was chaotic we had a storm and at moments felt weightlessness and freefall whilst lying in bed. Captain Brittany Ferries decides that he has to head for Calmer waters. We are one hour late arriving in Santander where a 46 mile 5500 feet climb awaits us. For the first time we have broke the mould - for The first day and only half day we decided we would like to know where we are staying tonight rather than travel with the lurgy of finding somewhere in our heads.  Booking.com came to the rescue and tonight God willing we stay in a ski resort Reionsa  (although the Captain wont be happy with the God bit)
Touch Base Later The Two Ronnies x






No comments:

Post a Comment