Friday 9 October 2015

Hassle Free to Vila Velha de Rodeo

We leave Gaurda 7.30 this morning. As I suggested last night we were gifted with an extra hour due to the Portugal Spain time difference meaning it was light. At 1000 m it was cold and we rugged up for the decent. Captain Parker was raring to go still gloating over his new 35 Euro wheel. The downhill was cold but exhilarating  and we dropped some 1800 feet over 3 miles. A great way to begin the Day.  I am still whingeing about my Achilles, I am accused of being both  a hypochondriac and a 'pussy'and I agree this may well be the case. We ride some 10 miles and stop in a little village to remove the rugs and enjoy a tea and coffee. It is an amazing day and as I said yesterday I am in awe of this Country. It was indeed a fantastic day for cycling. We cross a mountain pass via Alcantara heading for Castelo Branco in bright sunshine which was our planned stop on the daily splits at 62 miles. We rode separately I was enjoying the rhythm of the climb which ranged from 4 to 8% over about 5 miles. The road is creatively engineered and almost feels like it grew there - something that we don't seem to be good at in our own country. It's consistent and the snatch backs ensure fluency. Minispeakers resonating to the late JJ Cale and the new playlist of my resident touring DJ  - Judge Adam Prout I am in my element. The Captain would be less than happy with it.  We pass Vines loaded with grapes in the hedgerows growing just like blackberries in our own country. Pine nuts falling, aqricultue is back in time but it's fantastic. I am in many ways jealous to see these people living a simple existence apparently uninterested in the trappings of life that we have been programmed to believe are so important. ( on one again I know but that's how it gets me) We arrive in Castelo Branco and have racked 62 miles to arrive spot on 1pm We decide to have lunch and then push on another 20 miles or so to current position to ensure a smaller day on Sunday. The Captain is less than happy when I use Google translator to order him an omelette - it comes out as Sausage Egg and Chips. The Town we are in at the moment is strange it's a one horse town and The Captain remarks 'Theyve shot the horse' - we grab accomodation in the only Hotel that seemed available and are alone here. The Captain is beside himself when we fall across the local fire station and he insists on a piccy. As he inspects the Watch organisation He scowls' These doors could do with a paint' 83 miles today and as always sitting into the ride nicely now and it's over in two days!  Dont know where we will be tomorrow. Just been informed heavy rain on the horizon so could be anywhere from here to Lisboa - we plan to just do all we can to be with the Girls as early as possible on Sunday. They fly in to Lisbon tomorrow and have a night on their own -  Danger? Over and out The Tourists. X









No comments:

Post a Comment