Friday 2 October 2015

Disastrous Day 1 To Bridgewater

As I said every day is an adventure and they certainly fitted that ticket. We left Winchcombe his morning with a fantastic send off from WCC. It was foggy and as always we were both full of apprehension as we climbed Cleeve Hill. First stop -McDonald's Quedgeley where we had a cup of coffee and debated how our day would Pan Out. The tandem partnership was as usual working like a well oiled machine. We made good progress to Berkeley and then disaster struck. The wheels rubbing we investigated to find out the rear spindle of the back wheel had severed. From the captains mouth I heard A muttering that sounded very much like 'We are Fucked' - offering a vote of confidence didn't help our predicament. Think on your feet that's how we do it in the marquee trade and indeed The Fire Service I hear resonating in the background.  With a phone call to my neighbour who holds our house keys ( Thanks Lee) and then a call to my good friend Plumby and Savoiur for the day - he's on his way to Berkeley with our solos. We push the terminal tandem back 3 miles have an early lunch - Plumby is there in Superman style. ( thanks Plumby and I agree a friend in need is a pain in the ass) The picture in the Berkley shop window says it all! Off we go rescued and whistling, we are pleased with ourselves and the dark Moment had passed. No Captain is happy to abandon the ship but I am pleased to again offer a vote of confidence that we had no other choice to thwart his guilt and self pity.  Onward to Bristol we crossed the Clifton suspension bridge the wind on our backs,life is good. Then with a loud bang the captain blows a spoke. His head is down and the shining sun and dappled tree light can not offer cheer. We limp on to Bridgewater where we attack a random cyclist who takes us to Halfords. Please nobody ever Mock Halfords👍  We decide to leave our bikes there where they will be locked up and safe and pick them up in the morning. As we analyse our day the captain states ' not a good place for me Bridgewater I've blown the spoke and I also lost an inmate here' How? I enquire. 'He jumped out the roof' I chuckle inwardly as I consider the plight apparently some 20 years ago! Anyway we are here we have blown 95 miles away and we are just about to eat some food - the digs are good and as always enjoying the adventure. Check in tomorrow - The Tourists X








No comments:

Post a Comment